March 14, 2011

The answer?






Since I started writing this blog: (maybe not in order. My mind doesn't work like that!)
  • I've re-mortgaged the house in order to consolidate monthly payments.
  • Watched my wife get sick and die very slowly.
  • Tried to counsel my son.
  • Tried to counsel my future daughter in law.
  • Lost my father to alzheimer's.
  • Lost my brother in law.
  • Lost both of my dogs.
  • Lost all 4 of our cats. (The dogs were mine! The cats, not so much)
  • Seen what 3 quarters of a million dollars worth of medical bills look like.
  • Held more cash in my hands (actual cash) than I ever have in my entire life.
  • Held power of attorney for the first time.
  • Had major surgery.
  • Been diagnosed with Celiac Sprue (I am being retested for this in the early summer because they don't think I fit the profile).
  • Lost more weight than I ever have at one time, and kept most of it off.
  • Bought a car just because I liked it, totally oblivious to the fact that it's a very impractical car.
  • Had a guitar designed and built just for me.
  • Had 2 amplifiers designed and built for me.
  • Bought a TV that I can actually see without squinting.
  • Gave away all of my clothing because they were too big.
  • Bought all new clothing.
  • Bought winter underwear that was comfortable and warm for the first time.
  • Bought shoes that are comfortable and warm, and will be comfortable and cool in the summer.
  • Cried more in 6 months than I have for the previous 56 years.
  • Said "yes" more than I have in years.
  • Said "no" more than I have in years.
  • Came back early from a vacation.
  • Rented a car bigger than a shoebox.
  • Had total control over my life for the first time in my entire life.
  • Prayed more than I ever have in my entire life.
  • Been alone more than I ever have in my entire life, and not gone crazy.
What's next?
I have no idea but here is some of what I plan to do:

  • Finish painting the house.
  • Get rid of all the rest of the extra junk. The house will only have what I need in it.
  • Start jogging.
  • Walk at least 10 miles in one trip.
  • Kayak at least once.
  • Go to Florida for at least a week, maybe two.
  • Write 15 songs.
  • Write a book.
  • Lose another 40 pounds or more.
So, what did you do the last 3 years?

No comments: