April 28, 2011

Shortening Powder

I was going to attend a course at the Bariatric center called "Back on Track", but I got socked with a huge medical bill. The hospital spends insane amounts of money on an inefficient billing system, and they print up so many useless "informational" brochures, that they have to charge extra for all their procedures. I've harped on this to them and on this blog before, so I won't waste my time talking about it again.
But, a $2000.00 medical bill for a simple visit and 4 tubes of blood is crazy. After the insurance company paid their share, I still owe them $540.00. There goes the money for the course.

In June or July, I will go to the lab to "donate" another 15 tubes of blood for my bariatric checkup. That will cost me another $500 or more, after the insurance covers the rest.

But, as things go, or should I say, as money goes, I will not being able to cover my mortgage soon. So, it may be better to sell the house and move. Said all this before too.

I still feel like I'm moving forward because I'm arranging my thoughts and getting set up for a change.
I just realized how tired I am so I'm gonna hit the sack.
Life is good.

Editing complete. It seems I was complaining quite a bit last night. The truth is that I see such a huge amount of waste in the system. When I was first married 34 years ago, we had Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The doctors back then accepted what the insurance company paid them and didn't bother us with the extra. Now, it seems the hospital is just plain nasty. Every office I go into has piles of useless high quality brochures. They have the internet now, so why bother wasting money on them?
There is also the tons of paperwork required. Most of that is now computer covered, so paper has been cut back on or eliminated.
But, if you look at the doctor's office, you see 15 employees, other than the doctor. They are all there to do paperwork required by the government, or caused by the government. This is one of the many reasons medical coverage is so costly.
I went to a doctor in the late 70's when I was living in Chester County. I had a fever and felt lousy and had no where else to go. The doctor was in his 90's (he died soon after this) and very highly regarded.
This doctor had an assistant with him and a receptionist. He looked at me, asked me a few simple questions, then he took my pulse using his actual hands. He told me he was going to give me pills to help me, and then he said goodbye. The nurse gave me a packet of purple colored pills (not a bottle). These pills weren't even labeled! She told me to take one a day for a few days and I would be fine. They charged me $25.00 for the visit.
The pills were amazing, and I felt better the next day. Now, why can't they do the same thing today?
Nuff said!

1 comment:

Larraine said...

You are so RIGHT about the waste in the system. It's really a mess. I get so tired of getting brochures in the mail about how great someone did after their stroke, surgery, etc. Same day I get a bill in the mail for $51 after visiting my orthopedic guy who did nothing except give me a brace to keep me from falling and told me to go home and rest my knee for ten days. The $51 is apparently after what the insurance company paid although we haven't seen an EOB from the insurance company as yet. Already paid a $30.00 copay. I think the remaining $51 was for the stupid knee brace which I didn't wear since it digs into my foot when I sit down. Big pain in the keester!