June 27, 2011

Guardian angel!

I forced myself to get out yesterday and take a walk.
I suppose I am staying in to punish myself for not following through with my plans to play guitar and sing again. I don't know.
Anyway, I took a drive wearing my workout shorts. These are the "gym" shorts that a man shouldn't wear for anything other than a workout. They just aren't equipped to handle a wallet, keys and the stuff you need to drive or go out in public.
It's not that they are indecent. They just are a little less "formal" than cargo shorts, or regular shorts.
I digress, as always.
I drove right past the trail because I realized I was wearing them and continued down the road. I came to Farmdale, and decided to head to another trail that was more challenging, and less used.
Drove right past that one too. I made a loop and headed back home.
I made it as far as the first trail, and turned in and parked.
They have a fire school next to the trail and there was a motorcycle training course going on, so there were lots of vehicles.
I could see many of the cars were there for bicycle riding too, because of all the racks on the cars.
There is a bench a few hundred feet in on the trail so I decided if I wasn't feeling just right, I would take a break there and turn around and head home.
I said hi to a beautiful dog, and his humans, and I moved over when I heard a bike behind me.
The guy on the bike said hi, and I recognized him as a fellow school bus driver. In fact, this guy was the one who talked me into switching to my present company.
He is a talker, but was interested in riding some more, so I wished him well.
Anyway, he rode to the end of the first break, turned around and came back to talk some more.
I ended up walking while he rode, and let him do much of the talking because I felt like I was being trained! He was gliding along on the bike, and I was walking at a very brisk pace. I kept up the pace all the way to the 1.5 mile mark, and decided to let him go.
One thing I realized about halfway down the trail was that I didn't have anything to drink with me, and I didn't have my glucose pills either because they didn't fit into the pockets of my gym shorts.
I was really afraid my blood sugar would drop while I was too far away from the car, so I turned around and started a much less strenuous pace back to the car.
My blood sugar did drop, I could feel it, but I was able to pace myself and things balanced out so that I was able to get back to the car and back home before things got too far out of hand.
I won't make that mistake again.
It felt good to get out, and I did play my guitar through about a dozen songs today. I was able to work out changes and chords on most of them. I couldn't do the one I really wanted to do because I was too tired and it has some complex chords. The nice thing, however, was that I was able to "hear" most of them, so I just might be able to do it the next time.
Anyway, I like the gym shorts for walking because they don't restrict my legs at all, and I can set a much faster pace without being as distracted. But, the next time I leave the house wearing them, I will make sure to take a kit with me.

A bit of a comical side note:
The glucose pills are huge and made of a chalky type material. I don't know if it's compressed powdered sugar or what. I don't take them unless I am exerting myself for a long time and feel the need for them, so they stay in the tube container, sometimes for weeks. As I walk, they bang around in the container, and even though they are held fairly tight, they tend to break down. So, when I open the container, I end up with powdered "sugar" all over me. It drives me crazy.
I went into the Weis today to do some food shopping and asked the pharmacist if he had any other type of glucose, such as the gel in the tubes, but he didn't.
Tomorrow, I will go out and do some shopping to see if I can find the tubes of gel. I hope they aren't expensive.
I am going to try and get out more too. It feels good.

1 comment:

Larraine said...

you sound better, Lee! Take care.