September 12, 2011

Truckin' without drugs!






At one time, my goal became to ignore all holidays, and people gatherings and just live my life.
I was going to ignore Christmas, New Year's, the 4th of July, etc..
I went to visit a friend the week before Christmas, and wanted to find a place were we could just sit and talk. I thought it would be nice to go to a mall because they had food and drink there and lots of places to sit.
I had forgotten it was the week before Christmas and it was one of the largest malls on the east coast.
I can't believe I was that stupid!
I found out I can't ignore the holidays because they are a major part of American life.

So, I now limit myself and isolate myself when I can. I never liked being part of a crowd, and always felt on the verge of panic whenever I was among lots of people.

I didn't feel that way when I was onstage playing for a crowd. I don't know all the reasons why.

I read lots of books when I was a kid. Many of them involved traveling to places on other planets, or exploring the wilderness. I thought about going to those places and the excitement of all the adventures.

I still dream about them today.

One of the ways I was able to become an explorer and yet still be safe, was to hike with my wife. We would go to trails or parks with trails, and spend hours walking, talking, and taking pictures. I have thousands of pictures on my old PC laptop of those trips.

I miss doing that. The past years and a half, I've stayed very close to home, and I haven't taken any pictures other than the house and East Petersburg events. I realized that this morning after thinking about the destruction of Lee and Irene.

My two favorite rail trails are pretty much inaccessible and probably damaged heavily.

If I want to take a drive, I would have to go South, way South just to be able to drive without running into roadblocks and detours.

Anyway, I figured out that in order for me to get back to some sense of normalcy, I am going to have to get back to "exploring" again soon. I have taken drives, but they were more for my sanity than they were for enjoyment. And, I didn't take any pictures.

Donna and I would go to the disaster areas and take pictures. I still have shots we took going down River road along the Susquehanna during the ice jams. Huge blocks of ice washed up onto the road in the middle of the winter.

We took pictures where ever we went. I haven't done that. I have to do something about that.

No comments: