March 15, 2009

Wow, what a weekend!

I spent more energy in the past 3 days, than I spent in a month when I was fat. I did things I couldn't do, or at least, had to plan carefully to make sure I didn't collapse.
What a great thing this surgery was!
Friday, I did a workout to end all workouts. I hit blinding speeds of 3.5 mph on my treadmill at grades up to 6%. I stopped the treadmill every 5 to 10 minutes to do a workout on my total gym, or use the free weights. So, I was doing circuit training, and mixing it up pretty good. I actually went for 40 minutes, and hit 85 to 90% of my maximum capacity according to the heart monitor on the treadmill.
I got up Saturday morning and took a walk with my music. I covered the 3 mile loop at a fast pace for the most part.
I don't get tired as much as I get sore now. I have yet to get out of breath, but I really haven't pushed myself yet. I am still afraid of getting hurt and slowing my progress.
Now, in the fat days, I would have quit at that point for the rest of the weekend, but this day, I decided to go shopping. I took my wife and we visited 2 furniture stores, an RV place, and a Dunkin Donuts! We were out for about two or 3 hours, and even stopped at the Humane League to look at dogs. Sadly, they were sparse. I have been thinking about a 4 legged friend ever since I lost my two collies. They only had pit bulls at the humane league, and I don't want a pit bull.
I felt a bit sore on Sunday, but I went to Maryland and picked up my grand daughter, and we went to Ikea. I carried her a lot of the way, after she decided it was too much to walk. I did put her in the shopping cart about 3/4 of the way through the store. If you've never been to Ikea, you are missing a real treat.
I bought a desk chair that I couldn't find anywhere else, at a price that was soooo low.
Then, we went to a play park, but she fell asleep before we could get inside. So, I took her back home and sat and talked to my daughter for a few hours before coming home to write this.
All in all, I spent a very satisfying weekend and didn't once think about where the nearest seat was in case my fat legs couldn't hold me up anymore.
I am throwing out the sweater I wore today because it is so big on me as to be totally unusable. The arms are stretched out into orangutan length. I remember just barely fitting into it a few short years ago. Now, it just hangs. It is threadbare and worn out. Bye bye.

No comments: