July 7, 2009

Blood test

I have my 5th blood test scheduled for Thursday.
I have been going every few months since the surgery.
One time, they took 16 tubes at one sitting out of me. That's a record. They have since kept it to about 11 or 12 depending on the technician and how much she or he thinks they need for all the tests.
I have to fast for 12 hours, and that's not hard anymore. I don't mind it a bit. I drink water, but not anything else so I won't dehydrate. I eat pretty good after the tests too.
They can actually find the veins easier now that the arm is thinner. But, the skin sometimes throws them off a bit because it is loose.
I have been following another blog that I have listed here, and was surprise to find that the medical coverage isn't as complete where he is, than it is here.
I have had a team every step of the way, and these folks have followed up with me on a regular basis, even with the influx of new patients all the time. I don't know how they do it, but they do.
I am really lucky to have found them. Blessed too.
I am looking for a shrink again to work out some non WLS problems. I'll post what I find.

2 comments:

Larraine said...

Congratulations! I had a recent blood test too and mine was good also. I was curious what you meant by coverage not being as "complete." Perhaps you could elaborate. My insurance only covered a 3 month follow up, but my doctor believes in two years. So, I paid an additional $1000 out of pocket for that. It was worth it to me though. It's a great feeling when you get those blood test results, isn't it!

Lee said...

Larraine,
My insurance covered everything in the beginning. 100% for the surgery, and doctors, hospital stay, etc.
I am now paying a deductable at the beginning of the year plus co-pay with every visit.
My first blood test of the year had a large deductable (for me, it was a mortgage buster. We may lose the house) and I am just now finished paying monthly on it. Now, I have two or three other medical bills as a result, and I'm not sure if any went to collection agencies.
I agree it is worth it, but with the economy tanking, and the general expenses going up, it looks like I will have another battle to fight.
Thanks for reading.