October 11, 2009

How lucky I am!

My surgery was done by one of the pioneers of laproscopic surgery. He was there when they first started doing it, and has perfected the craft nicely. I have a few slightly red marks on my belly, but if you aren't a surgeon, you would just think they were typical discoloration of natural skin tone.
My surgeon treats obesity as an illness. He stated that at the meeting we had this month. Because of this, he reacts differently than someone trying to make a living doing this. He will tell people when they don't need the surgery, or if they aren't ready. He has no problems with that, and as such, he has an excellent record of success.
He also knows that in order to lose weight properly, and keep it off for life, you need a team effort.
He went through an exhausting process to pick the right people to man his team.

Right now, he is looking for another surgeon who shares his vision. He won't just hire someone who has the talent to do the work. He wants someone with compassion and people skills.

His dietitian is now in charge of the monthly support group meetings, and is doing a bang up job of running things.

He added a second dietitian a few weeks ago, as well as a second physiologist. So now, he has two of each. They are both young and really motivated to help their patients.
I go to the gym when I can, but have been working on the yard and other things for the past 3 weeks. I will go back soon.

So, we have a dietitian that we see every 6 months, but can email her anytime and she responds quickly. She also sends us advice about new products just coming to the market.

We have an exercise physiologist to help us when we need it.
There are nurses available for non surgical questions about our situation.

And, we see Dr. Brader every 6 months for life.

There are upcoming events for the support group, such as going to Hershey Park for the Christmas lights, and planning another picnic. We also have clothing exchanges for formerly fat folks giving their clothing to soon to be thinner folks. We donate most of it to Goodwill. I took a car load over a few months ago. We plan to do the exchange times a year.

We have a resident counselor speak a few times a year to our support group. She is a post patient herself, so she knows what we are going through.

We will hear from another plastic surgeon soon as well.

We have a professional kitchen at the Center, and they plan on using it quite a bit to show people how to prepare food, and new recipe ideas.

So, I would say that I'm very lucky to have a team like this to help me along the way. Not everyone has this type of team approach. I had thought it was standard, but now I'm hearing from folks that don't have it. I hope they can benefit from the information here on my blog, or maybe they can connect to a support network through me.
I wish them luck.

No comments: