November 23, 2009

Wife update

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer as you might know.
The cancer has spread to her brain.
We were concerned that she might have it in her lung too, but tests showed that she is clear so far.
They did drain her pleural cavity of fluid which was keeping her from breathing fully.
She has been dealing with cancer since she was a teen and had Hodgkins disease.
The radiation treatment she had back then was what caused the breast cancer now.
On December 2nd, she is scheduled for Gamma knife surgery to remove the cancer from her brain. If you get the chance, look it up. It is amazing how they figured out how to kill the cancer without destroying other tissue.
She is going through an old school form of chemo for her breast cancer. She can't have the modern version because of her Gamma knife treatment.
Everything she has is treatable, but, it is not a cure. It will come back, and eventually, it will take her life.
I was concerned about quality of life, but I will cross that bridge sometime in the future because she is doing well now.
She is still working, and only uses Oxygen when she has to.
This has affected my weight loss because I am working that much harder to make sure she is comfortable.
I am also stressed out quite a bit because her future and mine is not certain.
My financial future is almost certain because I will not have any money when all is finished. I will have to declare bankruptcy for sure, and I won't have a wife.
Life is still good, but it isn't easy.

No comments: