December 4, 2009

Can you give up fast food?


I sure couldn't do that before my surgery.
I am a big fan of the lousy beef burgers at McD's, Wendy's, BK, and all the others. I didn't care what they were made of. If they were burgers, I ate them.
I used to go to McDonald's and get their single cheeseburgers. I would buy 4 at a time, add super sized fries, and a large chocolate shake.
Wendy's was even better for me, because I could get a double, everything but onions and mayo, with cheese, a large order of fries, and a large bowl of chili. Oh, and don't forget the large chocolate frosty.
When I was finished, I could barely move, but I was oh so full!
I got started with this eating habit way back when I was a teen. My friend and I would ride our bikes to the Gino's, or to Dick's deli, and fill up. We would be coming back from getting paid for our paper routes, and would spend a large portion of the $15.00 on junk food. Then, we might ride in the other direction for about 10 miles, and buy plastic models (cars, ships, etc.).
I was learning how to wrestle too, so I was burning lots of calories. I never noticed the weight gain, because I was burning it off as fast as I was taking it in.
I can walk right past these places now. I feel good!
Life is good!

1 comment:

Larraine said...

I'm with you, Lee. Occasionally - very occasionally - I do a run through for a small order of fries. However the burgers turn me off. Ever since I read an article in the New York Times about a girl who had a violent reaction to ecoli in burgers her mother bought frozen and cooked on the grill, I'm really wary. Since I don't eat nearly as much as I did before, I figure I can afford to spend the money for locally grown hormone and antiobiotic-free meat that is processed locally and flash frozen. Their burgers are great. Usually I can make one burger last for two meals!