April 13, 2010

Running out of steam

I have this problem.
I get going full tilt in the morning. Then, I go all day. I run out of steam just about the same time every night.
It's not a physical energy problem, but a mental one.
I can walk, or do something as long as it doesn't involve interacting with people.
If I have something to finish, I can't do it. I just can't.
Now, I know why I can't finish, or interact.
I'm tired of pretending. I'm tired of holding up my facade. I need to let it down and just be me.
I get up around 4:30am every morning, so by about 6pm, I've had enough.
It doesn't help that I live in a tourist area. Lancaster County is the home for the Amish sect.
There aren't just one group of them, but literally dozens of different versions of Amish.
They all have this one annoying habit and it wears me out as a Bus driver.
They all drive one horse buggies and I always get stuck behind them trying to maintain a schedule. I hate it.
They don't have licenses. But they tie up traffic and I swear they are reveling in messing with us "English".
So, the problem really isn't with the Amish, but with the fact that many of the native Lancastrians adopted their style of driving, and they also drive like idiots.
I hate it.
It wears me out.
Now, you should be able to tell about now, that I really don't have anything against any of these people. I have met quite a few of them and they are very nice for the most part.
I am writing this at 5:35pm, and I'm tired.
So, I'm letting myself go a bit and complaining about something totally outside my control.
I'm going to go see my counselor tonight at 6:30pm.
Can you imagine what I'm going to tell them?

2 comments:

Larraine said...

Gosh, Lee, you get up at 4:30 in the morning, drive a school bus, work around the house and then wonder why you run out of steam by 6:00PM. Hint: you're not a kid anymore! Don't be so hard on yourself. As for those Amish buggies, they are charming for those of us who don't have to get to work anywhere. I can imagine how annoying that could be when you have to get from Point A to B. In some of our rural areas, I have been stuck behind a farmer on an enormous piece of farm machinery going 10 MPH on a country road where you can't see far enough to pass. The guy could move over, but doesn't. So, I understand how you feel. Like I said, don't be so hard on yourself. You couldn't have done what you can do now 100lbs ago!

Lee said...

I don't think you got it, Larraine. It was written a bit tongue in cheek.
I do run out of steam, but I will be able to handle it if I pace myself.
Gee, and I thought I was being funny!