May 22, 2010

Carried away

OK, so yesterday I wrote that I wanted to save money by fixing meals and freezing them. I wanted to make it easy to eat so I didn't have to worry about portions and cheating because I didn't have something ready when I needed it.
So, I made some more chili today. I call it chili, but it really is just a combination of foods that I need in proportion so that I can portion it out quickly.
Today's "chili" got carried away. Or should I say, I got carried away.
I have been buying 2 pound containers of ground beef from the local market because 1 pound just isn't enough for the amount of chili I make.
I also thawed out 4 large hot Italian sausage links. I cut the skins off the links and break the insides into small blobs. They aren't balls because I don't round them off.
I drop them into hot water and boil it down until they are tender and well cooked. I also add seasoning as I see fit.
I like my chili hot, so I cut up two very nice Jalapeno peppers and added them to the ground beef while cooking.
I used chicken broth to cook the beans. I also added spices to the bean mixture.
Now this time, I used two bags of beans. The red kidney beans were joined by some black eyed peas (I got a feelin...).
So, I added 8 cans of tomatoes, and all my other stuff.
And, I realized I had too much to fit into the huge crock pot I have.
Ooops.
So, did I have enough energy and goop to make two batches?
Yes to both questions.
I brought out a Stock pot, and used up the rest of my canned tomatoes, and made a second batch.
One batch was the ground beef, and the other was the sausage.
Now my chili is made with WLS in mind. It is very heavy in protein. It has no artificial stuff in it. No sugar, except what comes in the tomatoes. I add salt and other flavorings, but they are all approved for my diet.
If I eat it every day, I am still OK. If a normal person ate it, their arteries would probably harden and they would die within a week. Not really, but who wants to take a chance?
So, I finished up my two batches and since I already had 6 quarts stored from last weeks batch, I ran out of containers.
Oooopppps, or did I say that already?
I headed out to the grocery store and picked up 10 new containers.
So now, I have 16 quarts of four different kinds of chili to eat for the next few months or so. I don't have them marked, but I know which is which and since I made them in order to save time and money, I'll eat them. Even if they aren't the greatest, I will still eat them.
And, as soon as this current situation is over, I will go back to losing the rest of the weight that I promised myself I would.
In the meantime, I'm happy.



No comments: