August 6, 2010

Back to life, back to reality!

I started to look for new things to eat, and new recipes to prepare.
I have been living on the frozen "steamer" meals and chili for 7 months now. (Actually, it's only been about 4 months.)
The steamer meals have a good mix of protein, veggies, etc. and are low in calories for the most part. I never eat the apple crisp that they have in some of the TV dinners. I do monitor the sugar content, but ignore the gluten, even though I shouldn't. Most meals have pasta. (this is only my problem, not yours, unless you are Celiac too)
But, I've been comforting myself too much with foods I should only have in small amounts.
I am going to go back to the Doctor on a month by month basis, as well as hitting the gym and seeing the dietitian to remember what I've forgotten.
I see a large problem in the system in that the 2+ year olds need to be reminded of things and they need a support group of their own.
The mind and body play tricks on me.
The mind wants to go back to the old days when things were so much better! It doesn't like to think about doing something new or having to think all the time about what and how to eat. It wants to go back to the old habits.

The body is perfectly willing to follow the mind's lead and start goofing off instead of working to feel better.
My wife of 34 years is dying. I challenge anyone to deal with WLS and that at the same time!
It's been over a year now that I knew about it. It's been 7 months that she has been in the hospital.
Damn, this is the hardest thing I've ever done. I think I'm doing OK, all things considered.
Now, after she is gone, I will not only go back to my diet in earnest, but I will be alone for the first time in my life.
So, I have a new challenge.
I'm not sure about anything.
Let's see what happens.
When I get some of the new food ideas collected, I'll include them here for others to see. If you have any ideas, save them until I can think clearly again. I do want to hear them, but not quite yet.

1 comment:

Larraine said...

Hi, Lee! I'm feeling frustrated because my weight loss is going at a crawl. I'm thinking about doing Weight Watcher online. What do you think?