March 4, 2011

Friday night



There was a time when I could go all night.
I would practice during the day, and then load my ton of equipment into the car and head out to play.
Most of the gigs back then were 4 or 5 hours long and ended up around 2am. We would play 40 minutes and then take a 20 minute break. This would allow people to talk and socialize.
Our music really rocked, so people would work up a sweat and dance the whole time we played. It didn't matter what band I played in back then, everyone danced. Lots of food, drink, and smoke!
I would finish around 2am, and load the equipment back into the car and drive home. Depending on how far away we played, I could get home at 3 or 4am. I would then unload the car and go for a walk.
I would walk until I came down from the high of playing. I was usually tired and a bit sore, but I would walk anyway.
I am about to start doing the music again. I want to play live for people. I don't know if I can find a full size band to work with, or just go out and play on my own. I can do either. But, I want to play no matter what.
I have been practicing ever since I got my guitar back from the builder. He did a great job of adapting it to my hand. The guitar sounded very good before, but the strings were a little too far apart for me to feel comfortable playing for long.
It's strange, but I never thought about having fat fingers before my surgery. But, that's what happened. My fingers got fat and they hurt when I played. I even took medicine for arthritis.
After I started losing weight, they stopped hurting. I can play now for quite a while without pain.
I no longer take any drugs other than vitamins and minerals.
Other than the fact that my fingers are a bit bent from age, they work just fine. I get a bit less excited about playing, so my technique has become more refined and I am able to sit still and work on specific parts. I couldn't do that before. I had to hear the song, and then run it through in my head rather than practice it. I can practice now.
So tonight, I am going to go out and hear a duo that has been bugging me to come out to hear them for awhile. I guess it's about time to do that.
I am used to going to bed at 9pm because I get up early for work. I even go to bed early on weekends so I don't mess up my bodies schedule.
I am tired now, but it's not a long drive, so I'm gonna go see them anyway.
I did try to go see them once before but the room double booked and they canceled.
I won't stay long, unless I find a female that I can dance with!
It won't be long until I am out playing on a regular basis.

On a side note, I delayed the story I wrote for this blog until the 6th of this month. I am writing this in real time and will publish it before I leave.

Life is Good!

No comments: