July 19, 2011

Exercise is over-rated!

Above: Basement walls
Garage floor
Kitchen looking at the back door.
Garage floor, looking at porch door.

I finally broke my pattern of inactivity, and I wrote about it already. Let me add some pictures to the mix.
I like the feeling of being able to do a workout while getting something done too.
Yesterday, I cut the grass in the hottest part of the day.
Today, I painted part of the basement stairway walls, and helped scrub the garage floor as well as cleaned the garage out completely and filled it back up when it was finished.
It was really hot out there and I could feel it, but it didn't slow me down like it did when I was fat. I sweated because I was working, not because I was fat.
I stayed hydrated too.
The house was full. I had 3 of the school bus family over to help finish painting, and two young neighbors helping me in the garage.
I did the painting myself before they all came over.
Imagine the garage floor covered with oil, dried kitty litter, and fluid stains since 1992 and before. That's what I cleaned off over the past week.
Imagine cleaning out tons of stuff off the garage floor from large items to small ones. Then, sweeping the dust and dirt, then rinsing the floor, and adding a bit of dish detergent (dawn gets grease out of your way) and scrubbing with two long handled brushes. Then, rinsing it all off, and doing it again. Then, rinsing it all off, and using brooms to move the excess water off the floor. Then running a fan to help dry it, while organizing the stuff to bring it back into the garage when the floor dried.
Tomorrow, the school bus family will come over in the morning and finish the kitchen. You can see from the pictures that there is lots of blue tape, and areas that need to be finished, such as the ceiling.
The original paint was so worn, that I couldn't begin to tell you what color it was. The new paint is "cabin" white, but in the pictures the sun shining in the window makes it look yellow. It isn't.
I will probably paint the garage floor gray since it looks good to me, but not really as clean as I would like. The fancy acrylic floor paint is too expensive, and gray will be just fine.
The basement walls were tough to do because of all the strange angles. It is also the tallest ceiling in the house and very hard for me to reach straight up and still get paint on the walls. I will work on it again but not tomorrow. I need to take a break.

I found a place that still has Nautilus equipment and I want to check it out. I loved using that years ago because it worked so well. Once I learned how to use it, I made amazing progress. I read a book about the inventor of the equipment, and trained with an expert. This was back in the late 70's I think when they first came out with it. My back was hurting from too many hours of driving city bus, and the machines firmed up the muscles to take the pain away. Of course, it didn't hurt that they had a real whilrpool and sauna that my wife and I spent lots of time in.

I think I am finally on my way to recovery. Let's hope so.

1 comment:

Larraine said...

sounds like you are on your way, Lee - good job!