December 30, 2011

Dream building

This was one of those terms from high pressure sales training. The idea was to drive around, or look through magazines, or watch TV, etc. and find the things that you thought you couldn't afford, but wanted.
A big fancy house, a new car, toys, jewelry. Whatever would motivate you to ignore all of the pitfalls of selling, and concentrate on buying something that was supposed to make you happy.
Then, you would find a picture of your "dream" car or house, and post it somewhere that you could see it anytime you wanted.
In other words, dream building was doing what you had to do in order to make your dreams come true.
The problem I found with using this type of motivation, was that I was not motivated by greed.
Even if I had the money to buy a Mercedes Benz, I wouldn't buy it. 
Now, I found out that there were some things I wanted, and I've already gotten most of them. But, I've never gotten to do the things I really wanted to do. So, I'm going to list some of those things here and see what happens:
In no particular order.
  1. I want to learn how to fly, and actually continue to fly after I finish learning how.
  2. I want to play my guitar again, and work with some great musicians again.
  3. I want to write some songs. I want to record those songs and I want people to listen to them and like them.
  4. I want to be able to buy and play a Hammond Organ with Leslie speaker. I would love to play in a club somewhere.
  5. I want to finish my amplifier project. Currently, it is on hold until my friend gets settled into his new apartment.
  6. I want to see Israel.
  7. I want to be able to take the time and have the money to drive across the United States. Then, I want to be able to drive through Mexico and Canada.
  8. I want to see Hawaii, and maybe live there for a little while.
  9. I want to design something that everyone finds useful.
  10. I want to either write myself or have ghostwritten for me, my books. I have several ideas and would like them to become a reality.
These things for the most part, are selfish things. I didn't add anything that I wanted for my kids or grand kids, and those things will remain in my head and not here on a public blog.

My basement work is finished for now. I will not go down there to work, except to finish a few loose ends.
My next projects are to iron and smooth out the curtains upstairs. I may install a few more rods, and may even go out and get more curtain panels. There are some other projects here that will require physical effort rather than mental and I will tackle them over the next few weeks.

I wanted to start looking online at Florida, but didn't get to that yet. I took some walks instead to think about what it was that I really wanted to do in order to focus my efforts in the right direction. I think I have a clearer picture now.

My visit with the Bariatric team today went well. I lost about 3 pounds since last month and that is where I want to be. I noticed some of my clothing was easier to wear. Walking, carrying boxes, climbing the stairs, and keeping myself busy to keep from eating helped a lot. The doctor ordered a few blood tests to make sure my fatigue wasn't an indication of something more serious. I also got an RX for a B-12 shot. I always liked the way I felt after getting one of those years ago. I would like to see an increase in my energy level again.
My pain in my hand may not be so easy to get rid of. The doctor seems to think it might be related to my years of playing guitar, but I am not so sure. His solution might work too, and I will think about it but won't write it here. Right now, my fingers are frozen, even though the temperature here is 70 degrees. It's not poor circulation.
So, one more day until the end of 2011. I still here people saying "two thousand eleven". I wonder how long it will be until they go to the abbreviation and say "twenty eleven"?
Happy New Year!





1 comment:

Larraine said...

I hope you can follow those dreams,, Lee!