June 23, 2009

Tooth and first song

Oh, and I met a preacher who helped my son, and is still helping him.
I had lunch with him.
Most preachers know not to mess with me and my religion, and this one was very respectful.
We had a good time. I offered him my DJ services, or anything else he needed that I could do.

Now, I went to the dentist this afternoon to have a tooth pulled. I didn't really want to do that, but it got to the point where it needed to go.
They are good there, and the tooth was removed with little pain.
Now, I gotta tell you......and this is the truth.
My weight loss surgery was easier than having the tooth removed!
I am in pain now, and should be asleep, but I can't because I am in pain. I have a hole in my mouth, and my jaw is pounding.
I took pain meds, and even though they have reduced the pain, it's still there. I may not make much sense in a few minutes because the stuff is pretty strong.
They broke the tooth apart and kept talking the whole time about what they were doing. It wasn't pleasant at all, believe me. I won't describe any more about it.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I played my guitar this afternoon, sans amp because I was lazy and wanted to play music, not equipment or toys.
My first thoughts of songs were pieces I've never done before.
Kenny Wayne Shephard has a bunch of great songs. I could listen to him all day, and I did!
Joe Walsh is another one. His tongue in cheek songs are fantastic. His playing is amazing.
So, after listening to them all afternoon, what song was the first to come from my brain to my fingers?
Hotel California

Yup, an Eagles song, and one of the greatest songs ever written. You know why it's so great? Because everyone thinks they know what it's about, but no one really does.
I don't think I've ever seen a Calitas, but I'd like to know what it smells like.
And, did the guy die and get stuck there, never to escape?
Is it Heaven or Hell? Or Purgatory? One thing for sure, it ain't a Holiday Inn!
The chord pattern has always been elusive to me. I heard an interview with one of the writers of the song, and he said that they had to use a strange key (B minor) because they couldn't sing it in any other.
So, I started to play a B minor chord, and I followed that up with....well you get the idea?
I had almost the whole song, and when I got to the bridge, I went blank.
Gee, this didn't happen when I was a kid learning songs.
Oh well. Now, I know the chords, I will work on it until I get it. I will play it over in my head, and then I will play along with the CD to double check myself.
Kenny Wayne, and Joe will just have to wait a bit longer.
Ahhhh, the pills are kicking in. I'm going to bed.....stay tuned.

1 comment:

Barry VanEmery said...

According to http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1348063

calita may refer to a drink or a small cove. There's no straightforward translation.

A Google search also seems to indicate that it's used as a name in some cases, so I would think that it depends on what perfume she's wearing.