November 7, 2009

Protein powder, and other improvements.

At our WL support group meeting last night, someone asked how we take our protein, and how do we get our daily allowance of liquid.
I am a creature of habit, so I pretty much stick to the same thing over and over. This allows me to concentrate on other things, and I don't mind at all.
I do, however, keep my eyes open for new ideas.
When I first started this diet plan, I tried different types of protein to see which ones I liked. I tried this liquid that was contained in a tube because on the label it told me it had more protein than most other types of protein. It tasted terrible.
Last night, I found out I was using it wrong. If I had taken the time to mix it with water to dilute it, I might have liked it better. Oh well.
I started using powder because I really like milk shakes and this was the closest thing I could find. The problem was, I couldn't digest it very well. It stuck in my throat, and made me feel bloated.
So, about two weeks ago, I ran out of milk, so I mixed up my protein with water instead. Wow, what a difference. The stuff tasted good. It went down and stayed down just fine. It wasn't as thick or rich as a milkshake, but I can live with it.
I mixed the chocolate protein powder with strawberry the other day, and I like that. I also add a packet or two of Sweet and low since I still like sweet stuff.
My chili has evolved too. Much of the time I don't get the fresh veggies to add to it. I add frozen veggies. I alternate between three different kinds of meat. Ground (angus very lean), beef cubes (a bit more fat), and Bison (very lean and tasty).
I am looking for new recipes now so I can expand my skills as a cook. The problem is, I like my chili too much!
I bought some rice and prepared it in a separate container. It's the kind of rice that you have to cook for like 45 minutes, and it is sticky. I love the flavor and texture, and I add it into my chili as a small enhancement. I am afraid to eat too much at a time because the stuff can expand and stretch my pouch. But, I do love the full feeling that rice gives me. I don't feel comfortably full too often, and rice gives me that feeling.
Many of the pre and new post people there last night weren't sure how to get their full allowance of liquid. I didn't get the chance to tell them that I get mine through much of my food. My tomatoes in the chili have lots of liquid, as does some of the other food I eat. They are not soupy, but just moist enough to go down easy. Barry was right about the liquid when he spoke of it in his blog.


No comments: