January 11, 2010

Labels

I would like to express my opinion on medical labels.
These are the names they give to people who behave in a certain way, or do thing differently than the "normal" folks.
Labels such as:
  • A.D.D. - Attention deficit disorder
  • A.D.H.D. - Same as above with the "H" standing for hyperactivity
  • Bi-polar - Manic depressive. They have a million different labels for this one
  • Asberger syndrome - now it is a part of a bigger label, which is....
  • Autism - This is when you have a specific set of problems that doesn't allow you to fit into the general population.
There are other labels related to the above labels, such as O.D.D., which is an oppositional deficit disorder, but I will comment in general about all of the above listed labels in this thread.

In general, I used to think that a label was a good thing. Now, I am not so sure.
I read an article in the Sunday paper, yesterday. It spoke of Autism and Asberger's and how they were related. I was curious about the symptoms of the so-called diseases, so I read through to that point.
Well, the symptoms of the two are similar (according to the article), and they pretty much match me to a T.
  • I don't like to have contact with people for the most part. I like my privacy.
  • I don't like to communicate for the most part because I hate the process of socializing. It always seemed to me to be archaic, and just plain silly. It also required me to lie and make up things, and I certainly didn't like that.
  • I have excelled in some things, and not in others. I have the ability to "hyper-focus" on things I am interested in, and totally ignore things that don't interest me.
  • I hate sitting still, although now that I am older, I am a bit slower. I can sit still when I have to, but I don't like it.
There are other things that I noticed about myself, that match the things listed in the article, that I won't bother with here.
The point I am trying to make, is that I study people a lot instead of interacting with them. Yes, I am a ham onstage when I play guitar, sing, or M.C.. But, that is someone else up there, not me.
I would rather not interact in large groups of people. Too much incoming data to digest. I'm not happy in crowds. I don't like standing in line and will go out of my way to avoid doing that. I don't like being in a cattle call type of situation, such as everyone lining up to get a flu shot. I will avoid that at all costs.
Flying is OK, but the wait in the crowd and getting onto the plane is agony for me. Once I'm on, I can deal with it if I have something to do rather than sleep or stare into nothingness.
I like having a few close friends who know me and accept me for who I am. In that case, I enjoy long conversations of give and take. I can listen, or I can talk. I like that.
So with all that said, how am I different than others? I don't know anyone who enjoys standing in line, or being in a crowd pushing their way to go somewhere. I don't know anyone who enjoys losing their individuality by joining a Cattle call.
I am just one of those who expresses my feeling about not liking it. That allows some educated idiot to assign a label to me.
The article ended by telling the reader that they were going to eliminate Asberger's syndrome from the group of labels.
In other words, those of you who have been labeled with Asberger's, will have to find something else to blame for the fact that you are normal, and everyone else are just liars.
I'll bet that Asberger himself is happy that he will no longer be known for an offshoot of Autism, and might be considered just a good Doctor.
I think my A.D.D. is still safe for now. Otherwise, I might not have an excuse either!

No comments: