May 25, 2010

Honest to goodness Post!

There is a place here in Central PA called "Shady Maple". The owners have developed it into not just a restaurant, but a destination for tourists and locals who like food.
There is a country style market there, as well as a furniture store, RV store, and a Smorgasbord eatery. They also have regular meals served there too.
WLS patients all know and used to love all you can eat places. You could load up a plate in such a way as to look like you aren't eating that much, and then go back as much as you wanted. The exercise you got from getting up from the table defeated any extra weight gain you might incur from the 5,000 calories you consumed.
So, someone at Shady Maple decided they needed to bring more people into their business.
They started a campaign to give Bariatric post patients a discount in order to accomplish this.
1st year, they offer a 50% discount
2nd year, a 10% discount
After that, you pay as everyone else does.
Sounds good on paper, except for a few things:

  1. They interviewed Dr. Brader on the news about this idea (My favorite surgeon). He thought it was really stupid because all patients know that this is the type of place they avoid like the plague after their surgery. I didn't like them in the first place, but that's just me. Shady Maple wasn't happy about that.
  2. I really don't know any Bariatric post people who are lured by this type of campaign. We know better.
  3. Are they envious of our success and are they trying to sabotage us? Or do they have a WLS relative that they are trying to sabotage?
There are still a lot of fat people out there who love that type of eating. More power to them.
But, if you are interested in losing it and keeping it off, as well as being healthy for life, well, need I say more?

2 comments:

Larraine said...

Hi, Lee. I hit a bad key when I was typing so there may be more than one comment. Just delete my first one. I stopped going to those places even before my surgery. Eating that much in one sitting made me feel sluggish. Also, I question the quality of the food offered. If it's cheap, there has to be a sacrifice somewhere.As for WLS patients going, I agree - just stupid. Unless they want to stretch out the pouch and get back to being fat, they should just walk away!

Barry VanEmery said...

I remember the Shady Maple...what a place! It is to food what Walmart is to consumerism. And it is quite a tourist destination.

I don't disparage anyone who enjoys buffets; it's a popular thing today. I still go to a local chinese buffet but I only get some of the mushrooms; I normally still take in my own pre-packed meal and am there with my family.

I remember fondly the times I overate at those places, and I'd leave feeling bloaty and sluggish. Any attempt to vary my diet with higher-oil foods like what are found in buffet's, though, now have a more profound effect with far far less food, and I find it more unpleasant. I think part of that effect is that I'm just no longer acclimated to the food because my normal diet is far more bland. I wonder sometimes what would happen if non-bariatric patients changed to a stable "boring" diet for a month then tried some of their regular buffet or fast food fare, whether they'd find it blah or not, or at least perceive it differently.