June 3, 2010

Almost finished with school



The school year is winding down, and my next step in my weight loss plan is about to begin.
I am excited and scared at the same time.
This will be the first time in my entire life that I will be making decisions, life changing decisions on my own.
My wife is still in the nursing home, but is no longer active in my daily life. She is in her own little world and seems happy.
So, I have been collecting things in the house, and throwing things out. I have been cleaning, and getting ready to paint. I have been giving things to others so I don't have to deal with them anymore. De-cluttering is the correct term for today's world, and that is what I am doing.
Damn, it feels good.
I have trouble walking away from it, or taking time off, however, and I need to recharge a lot more now because of the stress of seeing my wife slowly deteriorate and die.
So, even though I want everything NOW, I still have to take it slowly and one step at a time. I hate that!
One good thing, is that I am getting practice being alone. My kids have kept their distance in coming home. I have gone to see them, or met them at the nursing home, but they haven't come here. That means I can leave things for later if I have to. I work as a typical ADDer, that is, I go here and there multi-tasking, rather than staying in one place for too long.
So, I have a dozen projects in the process at one time. I finish one and go on to another, but I still leave things and go on and on.
I don't think I'll need a dumpster now. I was going to order one and fill it up, but I think I can take things to the dump myself a bit at a time. I should also be able to take bags down to the curb over the summer and get rid of most of it that way. It's amazing how much space opens up when you organize things.
Just to re-hash, my wife has been saving things since we got married. We have moved 6 times in 34 years. Each time, we took more and more stuff. I was thinking of asking the Smithsonian to throw away all those old worn out airplanes so I could display all the stuff we accumulated, but I'm not sure they would be happy about that.
I began to realize that my wife was a hoarder after I had to move out of the bedroom closet a few years back. My stuff just wouldn't fit anymore.
Over the past two months or so, I have been gathering my wife's clothes and bagging them. I use 45 gallon black plastic trash bags. I have thrown away about 5 bags of clothing that was worn out, or damaged. Yes, I went through everything.
Every pocket had a tissue in it. Every single one. I filled an entire kitchen trash bag with tissue.
I won't go into too much more detail, but tonight I finished collecting everything and brought it all out to the living room. All of her clothing.
19/45 gallon bags covered the couch, in front of the couch on the floor, on both side of the couch.
Wow. This pile of clothing is not who my wife was. She is a good person, with a kind heart. I don't know the reason for the hoarding, but I'll take it with everything else she brought along with her. It's just time for me to move into my next phase and that is what I'm doing. I am looking at this pile and thinking about my mortality and what I want people to see of me when I die. I don't want them to have to do what I'm doing, so I will be planning accordingly. It's a healthy catharsis, that consisted of all 5 step of grieving.
I have to wait until things are over before I take them to Goodwill, but there are some poor people who are going to have some great clothing. Some of it has never been worn. Some of the suits are almost brand new. The socks are already gone. I gave them to a family member.
So, this is all part of my plan to lose weight and start a new life. I'll write more...

No comments: