May 30, 2010

Insomnia

Every once in awhile, I can't sleep.
I am usually smart enough to stay in bed, because sometimes, I am actually sleeping and don't know it. Also, the mind and body still rest, even though I am not sleeping as such.
So, I thought I would write in my blog to see what comes out of my fingers, instead of trying to sleep.
First, off, I went to bed at 7:30pm tonight because I was exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open. I figured I could use a full night's sleep, and even if I woke up early, I would still get my night in.
Wrong!
I woke up around 9:30pm and haven't been able to go back to sleep.
I got up and checked my email. I surfed Face book. I also have a site that I like to read stories and I thought that might help.
Wrong!
So, around 11pm, (it's 12:55am now), I got up and surfed the channels on TV.
I haven't seen Saturday Night live in some time, and I found out I wasn't interested after a few seconds.
I found some really bad movies, and a TV show about Piranhas eating people. The guy actually went into the pool with the fish and they didn't touch him. I guess you only make that mistake once, huh?
Then, I got hungry, so I made some oatmeal with a banana since I had eaten nothing but high protein meals today in an effort to start to change my diet. That filled me up, so i went to lay back down. I am still awake.
I am not worried, because this only happens once every few months, and since I have had an awful lot of stress lately, I guess I need this for some reason.
So, I will go lay back down after I finish this and will spend the rest of the night staring at the lights, or whatever I do when I can't sleep.
I am working on a total remake of my food intake, including changing out my breakfast meal. I have been eating way to little protein and too much carbs, so that is not a good start to my day, and I need to change it. Oatmeal, and yogurt have too much of the wrong stuff.
My Chobani actually has sugar added. I didn't realize it until last week when I reviewed the label. I had thought the sugar content was from fruit added, but I was wrong. So now, until I can find a substitute, I will not mix the yogurt, and only eat the top portion of it, and leave the fruit on the bottom. I know the fruit sometimes gets mixed in, but Chobani is pretty thick, so it will only be a little bit of sugar.
The oatmeal is sugar free or reduced sugar, which really isn't that much better than the full on sugar oatmeal. I have been eating this combination since I stopped eating eggs about a year ago. I got tired of eggs, and quit. I still have them from time to time, but not as a staple. I will re-examine that.
I also eat the oatmeal as a way to increase my fiber intake. It is gluten free, so every bit of fiber helps. I may start mixing my own fruit into plain oatmeal and plain yogurt, but use them during the day as a substitute for salad dressing, or whatever.
I know when I come home after my shift around 8am., I have a real hard time if I don't get some food in my right away, so I think the extra sugar is messing up my system.
On a related note, I have my blood test and scheduled checkup with the Bariatric team in July, so I will have a new diet plan figured out by then to present to the dietitian. It's time I did some adjustments anyway so I can start to lose the next 40 pounds.
The weather has finally improved enough so that I am spending more time outside, and getting more exercise.
I plan on starting my own business (gee, already my mind is wandering) and need some help to do that. I hope to be able to use the business to make enough money to be able to live, and to stay in a warm climate so I will be able to exercise by doing things, instead of being chained to a treadmill all winter inside.
I plan to be able to head South for the Winter and come back North for the Summer.
OK, I can't wait to re-read this after I catch up on my sleep. I can't imagine if I am making sense or not.
Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on my fellow WLS explorer. Barry Atric's blog comment. He hasn't been making entries into his blog for awhile because things haven't changed too much recently. I thought about what he said, and realize that in order to maintain weight loss for life, that the surgery has helped me to do, I have to keep re-inventing the wheel.
I have to continue to make changes, and adjustments, in order to not become complacent and start to regain the weight.
So, I will do my best to keep this fresh and continue to post as much as I can. I may start to sound like a broken record, but it's my blog and I can do what I want.
Night Night.....

No comments: