November 22, 2010

Mud Pie

I bought some beef cubes so I could make up something, but I wasn't sure what to make.
So, I thawed them out so I would have to make something or they would go bad. I hate wasting things.

My beef cubes got browned in olive oil yesterday morning, with garlic, vinegar and banana peppers, a teaspoon of real butter, some dried onion, and sea salt. After browning, I covered the pan and allowed the beef to completely cook through, about 10 minutes on medium heat.
Then, I added distilled water to cover the beef and brought it all to a boil. I stirred it once or twice.
I allowed it to simmer uncovered at medium heat for about an hour.
While this was going on, I cooked up a pile of brown rice. The long/slow cooking good stuff!
I was
also working on 2 chicken breasts. I had finished them the night before, so I pulled the meat off the bones and stored it all in a plastic container.
When the beef was finished, it was nice and tender, and very flavorful.There was still quite a bit of water in the pan, so I added the rice to the mixture and that absorbed the flavorings and water. I also added some cooked from frozen spinach, and a can of black beans.
I had my beef mixture. I separated it all into containers and stored one and froze the others.
Then, I has rice left over, so I combined veggies, black beans, and the chicken together along with some extra seasonings.
I transferred them over to plastic containers, and froze them.
I now have 3 different meals in 10 quart size containers.
My Killer chili
My Beef cubes
My Chicken rice
Each container takes me through 3 meals, sometimes almost 4 meals depending on how hungry I am.
Since I am alone and no one else eats with me, I can eat the same thing every meal if I choose, or I can use it to supplement other meals. It's also convenient when I am in a hurry. My portion size takes 2 minutes on high to cook.

On a side note.
Sometime in the very near future, I will go back to the beginning, and do the high protein, low carb diet to jump start my system again.
I am still grieving, and no matter how badly I want to get on with my life, I have to take things slowly.
I am still eating too many comfort foods. Even though they are very small portions, they are still more calories and carbs than I should be taking in.
My current weight is 218. I have maintained that weight since April of this year. My wife's illness and death slowed me down. The lowest weight I've gotten through the WLS was 202 and that was just before she got sick.
My heart is still healing. I didn't think it would take so long. I thought I wasn't as sensitive as I am. Oh well.
I will get there.

No comments: