April 2, 2011

Comedy of errors, or am I being haunted?

I went to Virginia today.
I came back home, not really accomplishing my goal, which was to meet a new person and give them my old TV.
Why?
Well, it seems I am being haunted, so anything I do is foiled by a ghost. Let me make a list of what happened. You decide:

  • I programmed the address into my GPS. The problem was the address isn't listed yet because the complex is brand new. So, the tomtom can find the general area, but not guide me to the exact location.
  • I backed up the tomtom with map quest. I entered the exact address, and printed out the map and directions. The problem is that for some reason, the print out only had the town name and zip code. There were no street names. I'm sorry, but I have been having a very hard time remembering things like street names recently (for the past 57 years), so when I tried to recall it, I had no luck. I even drove around the area for over an hour hoping that it would spark my memory. I stopped and asked some people too. They guided me to apartments and condos, but there must have been a million of them.
  • I programmed the person's name and number into my cell. But, when I went to call them, I got a wrong number. When I looked at the number, I realized I programmed a local number instead of the proper number. So, when I got to the general location, I couldn't call to ask for directions. How many strikes is that?
  • I forgot to pack my afternoon vitamins, and a protein bar. I had planned on visiting, then heading out to find a motel halfway home so I could veg out with my laptop and take my time going back home the next day. Oh, did I forget to mention that I forgot to take my laptop?
The ride was 180 miles long, and my tomtom wasn't a happy camper. It decided at one point to not show me which way to go, and I ended up driving through downtown DC. It is an amazing place, but not when you're trying to drive through it.
I called a friend halfway there and asked him to try to find the person's cell number online, or to try to contact them on Facebook, but he had no luck.
I still haven't spoken with the person, OK, OK! It's a lady. Give me a break. It could have been a nice day with a nice lady....a date if you will. But, I screwed it up, or rather, my wife came back and caused all these things to happen.
I had conversations with several people on the phone during the ride, and I stopped off at a Wawa and got a wrap and a bag of sun chips. I stayed in VA. until almost 2pm after arriving around 11:30am, but never got a call back from the lady. So I guess our relationship is off to a bad start.
The ride to and from was very nice. I won't let anyone get me down. I'll just move on. I did get to drive my little red car almost 400 miles including the meandering around looking at street names and apartments. The Acura got 33 mile per gallon!
Tomorrow is supposed to be a very nice day. I am going to try to get a good night's sleep and head out early for a long walk on the rail trail. I may get to see my grand kids too since they are in the area.
Life is good!

No comments: