June 19, 2011

Iced tea and Father's day!

I got lots done this weekend, but not what I wanted. So, while I am too tired to do anything, and to stop myself from downing some Drambuie which would ruin the rest of the evening, I decided to write a bit.
I have increased my iron intake to a daily 29mg. I bought a new bottle since the old one expired last year. My team is in the process of moving to the new facility, so they are pretty much out of touch. I can wait.
I cancelled my endoscopy/colonoscopy for a few reasons.
  • The instructions they gave didn't match up with my roux en Y and I don't feel as confident.
  • My insurance doesn't cover the whole thing and I really can't afford to pay for the difference this year. I don't have a credit card, and my credit is generally ruined for now.
  • I am thinking about changing over all of my care to the new hospital.
I am pretty sure this is a review of what I've already written about, so I'll move on.

Here's a super recipe for iced tea that we used when I was a kid. Read it before trying it please, especially if you have already had the surgery:

  • 4 or 5 tea bags
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar
  • boiling water
  • ice cubes
Boil the water, and pour over the tea bags after putting them into a 2 cup size mixing cup. Add the sugar and mix slowly so you don't spill any.
Allow the tea bags to steep for a few minutes.
Fill a 2 quart pitcher with ice cubes.
Carefully squeeze the tea bags and throw them away.
Pour the boiled mixture into the pitcher, and add cold water to fill. Mix and serve.

This was the way we drank Iced tea when I was a kid. Can you imagine what it would do to me if I made it this way now?
Back then, we didn't have any artificial sweeteners except Saccharin, and that tasted terrible. If you drank 300 cans of soda every day for 30 years, it could give you cancer!

So now, on Father's day, it brought back memories of those days when it was OK to drink with real sugar. I will be making up some iced tea using sweet and low sometime soon, but will use a gallon bottle for the same concentration of tea. In other words, I will use 4 bags for the whole gallon. I can't wait for the memories to come flooding back!

My music is coming along slowly. I had to get an audio snake yesterday from a friend out near Gettysburg, and I really enjoyed the ride. But my fatigue is frustrating because when I got back, I had to lay down, and I wasn't good for much the rest of the day.
Today, I went to another friend's house to get some connectors set up properly. I have some limited skills in that area, but this guy is a friend and an expert. I took a box of stuff down to him and a storage drawer cabinet that I'm not going to use. All of this is stuff that is in good condition, but it's just taking up space, and he can use it. We trade goods for services all the time. I've enjoyed that much more than trading cash.

One of the problems over the years is that I will purchase something that I need, but it needs to be modified in some way in order to function. If I don't pay the extra money and do that, expensive equipment just becomes large paperweights. I have been working to correct that over the past year. I now have an almost brand new power amp that has proper connectors so that I can use it in almost any situation.

I am in the process of getting all of my equipment organized so that I can sell off what I don't need, and learn to use what I do need for recording, and performing.

I have 35 songs that I am going to start working on tomorrow, if I don't get sidetracked with the 35 other things I need to do first. There's no one else here to help, and if someone were to come over to help, I would have to stay with them to supervise and assist. I have a long way to go, and hope to get out playing within a month in order to bring in some much needed cash.

Just got a call from the guy who is supposed to finish my porch so I can finally paint it.
More work to be done.

2 comments:

Larraine said...

Your post gave me pause because the doc recommended I have my next colonoscopy in three years and that's coming up. I googled it, and there are no satisfactory ideas except talk to your doctor and you may need additional prep time. It sounds like we might have to fast for two days prior. That's not very appetizing is it! Of course, we'll probably lose a lot of weight - at least for a couple of days!

Lee said...

I started thinking about wearing a medic alert bracelet again after this. I took it off because for the first time in years, I started to feel normal again and didn't need any reminders.
Then, with this post, I started thinking about what would happen if I was injured and taken to the ER without it. I wonder if many of the doctors today even know what's involved with the roux en y. Not only that, but not being able to take NSAIDs or non gel pills, or time release pills?
I may get a new ID sometime soon. I am going to look into the newer technology. I don't know what's out there, but it will be fun to look.
Thanks for the comments, Larraine. I read your blog too, even though I don't comment too often.