August 1, 2009

Memory in all it's forms

I've been wanting to comment on this for awhile, but I keep forgetting to.
I am a person that has a tough time with remembering faces and names. I think it's because I am ADD. I received so much negative response to ME back when I was a kid, that I became gun shy, and very rarely make eye contact.
People think I am lying a lot, even though I'm not. This is because of the eye contact thing. I wanted so very much to be accepted for who I was, that I was willing to change my whole personality just to accomplish that goal.
I lost myself, and developed coping strategies that I use to this day, that aren't the best way, but, they are my way.
So, back to memory....
It all started when I went to another School district in 10th or 11th grade. I knew people from Both districts, but when I saw them, I couldn't remember which school they went to, or what their name was. It drove me crazy because I didn't want to be rude. It was horrible for me.
I ended up going to college in the same area, and had compounded the problem adding more people from other places that I knew, but couldn't remember.
Then, I went to visit friends in West Chester. And...lots of kids from my home area went there too. So, I met people again after years, and couldn't remember where I knew them or what their name was. I really hated myself for this for a long time.
I met my wife at West Chester. I knew her through friends of mine from Levittown, and West Chester. She knew people that I knew, even though we had never met. It's a wonder that we got together at all.
Now, I was lots sharper back then, 34 years ago. Imagine what I'm like now.
We have lived in both Lancaster and Levittown. West Chester, Downingtown, York, West York, and East Petersburg.
Along comes Facebook.
I re-met many friends from Levittown, both schools. I've hooked up with an old friend from Levittown. We even got together as a four piece band. Three of the members lived here in Central PA, and all four of use were from the same school...in Levittown. Confusing? Yup. I meet all these people and they are from over 100 miles away, and they all live here!
Now, in 1982, there was a major change in my life. I won't go into detail, however, I met with many different people from all over the world who were either living in York, Lancaster, or were passing through.
Since I've lived here in Central PA, I moved many times. I've again lost touch with many people, most of the people from 1982 faded into my memory. Those were good times, but I had to make some tough choices,and leave many behind.
Along comes Facebook, and I meet up with a bunch of them again. And...with my memory, and lack of eye contact, and facial recognition, I had lots of trouble remembering names that were foreign to my ears. I do have some that I remember, but it still bothers me to no end that I have this deficit in my brain. I hate it.
Everyone deserves to have their name remembered and honored, yet my brain is deficient in that respect.
I am sorry, but that's me.
Add to that my age, and I have been having a problem with other memory. My Father died from complications of Alzheimer's last year. He had lots of trouble with memory towards the end. I feel like I've got it too.
Now, my problem is with people I know right now. Even if I just saw them, I have to stop and think about their name. Sometimes, I can't remember my grand kids names, or my son or daughter. Sometimes, I will think for five or ten minutes before remembering their names.
Now, my weight loss has had many positive effects on me. But, it hasn't helped my memory. It has improved my night vision. Probably due to my blood sugar leveling out. I can see better without my glasses when I drive at night. I can leave them off during the day most of the time too.
So, memory is lacking, and I finally remembered to write about it. What was I saying?

No comments: