November 14, 2009

Short and sweet

While discussing food choices, I found something new for me:
I started adding a teaspoon or two of Vanilla Protein powder to my yogurt in the morning. I also started eating my yogurt before I eat my oatmeal. This puts the protein first in my stomach. I used to eat the oatmeal first since it was hot.
The oatmeal doesn't really have that much protein in it, so this is better for me.

My breakfast lasts me until I get home for my next meal, and it gives me the fiber I need, since I don't take in wheat and gluten products.

  • One packet of Quaker Oats Weight Control oatmeal, with one or two teaspoons of Benefiber for the added fiber.
  • One container of Chobani yogurt, with one or two teaspoons of protein powder added.
  • Add one banana.
That is a lot for me to take in. Many times, I don't eat it all. But I try to get as much as I can because of the fiber. I get so blocked up without it.

I also add Benefiber to my other meals where it will dissolve.
Believe me, it helps.

The vanilla powder is pretty much neutral as far as flavor is concerned. I am not a real fan of protein powder, but then again, I haven't found any decent flavored protein anything. I just put up with it because I have to. Mixed in with the yogurt it is just fine because Chobani is low in sugar (other than the fruit in the bottom) and pretty bland for the most part.

As far as other forms of protein, I have protein bars (detour bars with lower sugar), and they leave a lot to be desired as far as taste also. But, I like the consistency of them, and that satisfies my need to chew.

I still drink Dunkin Donuts decaf coffee every morning. (bad boy!) Sweet and Low, with skim milk. When the one girl is there, I get a small squirt of caramel or mocha. I can drink it plain too.
Since I am a creature of habit, I can alter my food choices, or keep them the same...it doesn't matter much. I do have certain things I won't give up, but so far, they haven't been overwhleming.

  • I don't do sugar, and don't miss it.
  • I don't drink alcohol. I haven't had a drink since 1982, and really miss it! LOL. Oh life without beer......almost not worth living!
  • I do have dark chocolate in the form of a little square in the afternoon. Just one small square, instead of the whole box.
  • I do cheat on my gluten-free diet on the weekends. One slice of pizza will not kill me. I even leave the crust on the plate. Give me a break.
I am so much more active now, and I feel great.
I am watching my health very carefully, and going through counseling to stay on track.
Life is good.

No comments: