August 3, 2009

Beans

I'm going to make my next batch of chili this morning after I get back from the doctor appointment.
I started buying the dried beans because they are cheaper and taste just as good.
I have one more step to add when using the dried beans, but I don't really mind because the beans no longer have any sugar in them, or other additives, and it's fairly easy. Plus, the bags have recipes on them and I can always use a new recipe.
If you have had gastric bypass surgery or lap band, and don't know how to cook.....LEARN HOW!
It is fun and relatively easy. It makes you think about what you eat, and re-enforces good habits. And, did I mention that it's fun?
So, here is how to prepare the beans. If you want, the instructions are on the bag:

  • Get a large pot of water.
  • Put the dried beans in the water
  • Let it sit overnight
  • In the morning, drain the water, refill the pot, and bring the whole thing to a boil.
  • Let the beans go down to a simmer and let the water evaporate to where you want. If you are making soup, use more water. If you are making a stew or chili, let almost all the water evaporate.
Easy, with little intervention on your part. But, you do have to stay close in order to control the temperature and not start a fire or burn the beans.
Cooking is a hands on sport. Don't walk away unless you know what you are doing. If you forget, you might end up cooking the whole house!

1 comment:

Larraine said...

I love chili also. I've been adding 1/4-1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. It really adds a rich element to the chili. I recently saw a recipe for a bean soup that involved very little in the way of ingredients: broth of some kind, chopped fresh tomatoes, a little onion and garlic and cannellini beans. It's served with shaved parmesan. Beans are a great source of protein AND they are inexpensive and fat free.