August 5, 2009

Hope and Change

I was asked the other day, if I was experiencing any emotional changes.
The answer to that is YES!
I, like other who have gone through the WLS, all go through it.
It's the roller coaster ride of a lifetime, believe me.
Other people look at me differently. They treat me differently too. They ask personal questions, they don't even know are personal. Some are polite about it, but some just come out and say it.
I don't see the outside of me. I only see the inside me. So, every time they ask me something, it catches me off guard.
I've developed a list of automatic responses, but sometimes, I don't have them ready and I stumble. That's OK.
In addition to all the outside changes, the inside of me is still the old me.
I fight with myself to get up off the couch. I can get up now instead of sitting there all the time, but, my brain is still programmed to sit there and do nothing. yeah, sometimes I'm tired, but mostly, I'm lazy. It's a battle to remember that I'm not fat anymore.
Then, there is the job.
I've been a bus driver for 34 years. I sit on my butt and watch the scenery go by. I get harassed by children, teachers, coaches, principals, and my boss. All of this while sitting on my butt.

So now, because of budget cutbacks of hope and change and the redistribution of wealth from the worker to the welfare society, my pay just got cut to the point where I will have to get another job. I can no longer afford to keep driving a school bus.
This change is a big one for me. I am trying to figure out what I can do for a living.
  • I made a living years ago playing my guitar and singing, but that won't work anymore. They don't pay enough to do that.
  • I don't think I could sit still long enough to teach guitar, bass, etc. The small room would drive me crazy. I like being outdoors in open areas. I hate being inside.
  • I thought about writing my memoirs of my years of driving, so maybe now is the time to do that. I have been thinking about this for a few years now with no forward progress. But with threats of losing my house and other possessions, I have to go get a "REAL" job.
The only thing I think I'm qualified to do right now is work in a grocery store, or fast food joint and I would have to shave off my beard to do that. That's not likely to happen.
I am also DJ, but haven't taken the time or money to keep up with the music the past two years, so I would need an investment to do that. Plus, that takes time to build business.
So, as you can see, I have made excuses for every type of think I could do. I am fighting excusitus.
Add up the other problems, and I need to find a counselor, or win the lottery.......
So, does that answer the question?


No comments: