November 30, 2008

The List!

1. Finding the right foods and variety.
With the Celiac Sprue, life becomes a bit complicated. I have had dreams where I started to eat something the had Gluten in it, and then went into a panic trying to get it out. It is a constant thing for me to concentrate on both the correct amount of protein, making sure it is gluten free, and having enough fiber.
I go through periods where I have a certain food every day until I can't stand it anymore. Now, however, I am learning to look for variety. Things happen that open up those doors for me.
Over the holidays, I will be looking at cookbooks, and making a list of possible things for me to eat on a regular basis.
The world spins too fast sometimes, so it is tough for me to want to take the time at the end of it, to prepare something. So, I have to prepare foods when I have the energy, and save them.
We still eat out on the weekends as a means of breaking up the usual patterns of the week. I do all the cooking right now because my wife is working overtime and doesn't get home until late. So, eating out is a good way to take a break and learn what I can eat and can't. We have a great Italian restaurant close by and they make all kinds of foods, not just pizza and subs. So, I read their menu and find something new almost every time I go.

2. Exercising.
This is the toughest for me. I find that starting a program is as hard as quitting smoking is for some folks today. I just can't get started.
What makes it worse for me is that my wife doesn't exercise because of her health and won't go with me for support. She doesn't really support anything else I do either, so it feels like I'm being rejected by my best friend after all these years.
I never was one for running on a treadmill, or using equipment. I have it in the basement, but the weather hasn't been all that bad recently, so I would rather go outside than down to the dungeon.
Yesterday, my Son came over with his work truck and I helped him clean up the yard for the winter. I had been raking the leaves into a pile, but I hate putting it into bags. The bags are clumsy for one person, and a real pain to fill. It's not fun.
I raked all the leaves into a pile around my Silver Maple in the back yard. He came over and sucked them all up with a machine that chops them, and spits them into the back of his truck.
One of his friends grabbed a backpack blower and did the rest of the leftover leaves into more piles. They got the whole lawn.
My Son also cut and trimmed all the bushes. He cleared out the ones from the front bay window in order for us to see out better and for any sunlight to get in. The areas around the bushes got raked too and cleared out a pile of stuff.
Then, he hauled it all away.
I helped by taking Esmerelda for a long walk over to the park to play, and then bringing her home (nice guy, I am). Then, I helped grab some of the bushes that he cleared out. I also did a little raking.
He helped out the neighbor next door by sucking up his leaves, and he hauled them away.
So, I got a long walk and some bush carrying and raking done. I had to take a nap afterwards, but I felt good.
So, I did get some workout, and warmed up a bit, but it was not a formal workout. I continue to lose weight, and feel good, but I am worried that I will get lazy and not get into shape.
Today, it is raining, so I might spend some time finishing my verbal presentation for the meeting next week, and send off a copy to my partner who is also giving a talk.

No comments: